Our latest Local Vendor Spotlight is the vacation rental Our House on Maple. When I found “Our House” on social media, I fell in love with it and just knew I needed to do a feature on it!
I approached the owners Carmen and Ray Miller about doing an interview (& video). They were gracious enough to answer my questions and let me take a look around. Check out Carmen’s answers to the interview questions below.
Tells us a little about Our House on Maple.
[Carmen gave me so much wonderful information, I had to just pick a few of the many interesting facts she gave me! To read the story of how they bought the house, go here.]
- The house was built in 1909.
- The home builder, Charles W . Smith, was an architecture professor at the University.
- There’s a 1909 Sears catalog in the entry way. It’s so fun to see what was available at that time and those prices!
- There’s an old skeleton key in the entry on a red ribbon that I found in the yard. I figure it probably went to the front door long ago.
- The tile in the kitchen was salvaged from an old Masonic Lodge in my hometown of Shidler, OK.
- The old coffee grinder in the kitchen still works and is a fun addition!
- The bunk room was the original master suite!
- We added the deck not long after buying the house. The old cabinet out there was salvaged from the old florist shop in Cushing, OK. There are jars full of old glass and dishes found at Keystone Lake where the old town of Keystone was once located.
- Two of the tress on the property are over 100 years old.
Do you have any favorite features about the house?
- The gingerbread in the entry way was love at first sight. The pillars are awesome, too, and I loved the way there was a display pedestal built on each side.
- The double mantel Tiger Oak fireplace with original cast iron insert, original mirror and original tile.
- The builder’s initials and date are stamped in to the wood by the door in the guest room downstairs and the window casing next to the staircase.
- The three triangle windows on the second story are awesome. Two are located in the attic, but we remodeled the master bath to showcase the one in there.
- The original front door — though it has changed colors and glass, the door itself is still original.
How would one go about booking a bridal show or Bridesmaid Brunch?
Through Facebook Messenger or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also use the “Contact Us” button on ourhouseatmaple.com. Messenger or email is preferred.
How many guests does the house accommodate?
- For overnight accommodations the house comfortably sleeps nine, with a maximum occupancy of 10.
For small events the house provides:
- Indoor dining seating for eight. Total indoor seating for 20.
- Outdoor dining seating for six. Total outdoor seating (back) for 12.
- Maximum occupancy of 30.
Any tips for brides and grooms?
Don’t let the details cloud your special day. Our outdoor wedding was completely rained out by a flood! I got married in my high school auditorium! It all becomes part of your story and, believe it or not, you’ll laugh about it later. Promise!
To connect with Our House on Maple via social media, click the links below: